The Lung Mechanic - Catherine George
Respiratory physiotherapists help people with lung conditions like asthma, bronchiectasis, COPD (emphysema, chronic bronchitis), restrictive lung disease and others.
Education, breathing exercises to clear phlegm, improving fitness and strategies to deal with breathlessness are a few of the things I can help with.
Another area is improving the way people breathe to
- help control stress and anxiety
- improve asthma symptoms
- reduce chronic cough that has no medical cause
- enhance sports performance.
Some of the symptoms you can get from breathing poorly can be very scary and not often thought of as breathing related, for example
- Frequent sighing/yawning/sniffing/throat clearing or coughing
- Feeling breathless even after only a little bit of exercise
- Difficulty coordinating breathing and talking and/or eating
- Breathless when anxious or upset
- Pins and needles in hands/arms/around mouth
- Heart palpitations
- Feeling permanently exhausted and unable to concentrate for no reason
- Throat symptoms
- Muscle aches and tension around the neck/shoulder/jaw
- Bloated feeling in the stomach
- Light headedness/ cloudy head
- Mouth breathing
Over the last fifteen + years I have worked in Australia, England and New Zealand.
I currently work from two sites.
- South Island Respiratory Services @ First floor, Milford Chambers, 249 Papanui Rd, Christchurch
- Motus Rangiora @ 215 King Street, Rangiora